UCLA School of Law is a leader in preparing lawyers to change the world. From foundational lawyering skills course to transactional training in business law or participation in the David J. Epstein Program in Public Interest Law and Policy, UCLA Law primes students for real-world practice. I invite you to visit www.law.ucla.edu/springbrief to read more about how we are doing just that and for other recent UCLA School of Law news. I know you will share my significant pride as you read about our school’s recent milestones and achievements.
Let me share the impact of alumni and friend’ philanthropy on the UCLA Law experience in 2012-2013.
- The flexibility of the Dean’s Discretionary Fund was used to fully renovate two classrooms, including equipping them with state-of-the-art audio/visual and technological capabilities.
- With the average debt of our graduating students now at nearly $110,000, UCLA Law was able to provide $1.4 million in donor-based Student Scholarships and Financial Aid, helping us to meet our goal of remaining excellent and accessible.
- Last year our Public Interest Support Fund provided six recent graduates with year-long UCLA School of Law Public Service Fellowships. These competitive fellowships will fund their work with a variety of nonprofit organizations and government agencies, both domestically and abroad.
- Your gifts to our Faculty Support and Research Fund finance projects like the Empirical Research Group, which specializes in the design and execution of quantitative research in law and public policy and enables the law faculty to include robust empirical analysis in their legal scholarship.
- Gifts to our Library and Technology Support Fund have helped modernize the entire technology spectrum for UCLA Law. One example is MyLaw, UCLA Law’s internal web portal that has revolutionized intra-school communications for students, faculty and staff alike.
- Our Student Organization Fund helps fund more than 45 student organizations, including an active and popular new group formed this year devoted to tax and estate planning.
To support us in continuing our good work, I invite you to make your gift to one of the funds listed above. With your contribution, UCLA Law will strengthen our already robust academic programming; continue to bolster creative, effective teaching and scholarship; and provide greater assistance to those students who need and deserve it.
All my best,
Rachel F. Moran
Dean and Michael J. Connell Distinguished Professor of Law