The California Bar Examination is administered twice each year, once in February and once in July. The exam is administered over a three-day period and consists of three parts: six essay questions, two performance tests, and the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE). The MBE constitutes 35% of an applicant’s overall score. The essay and performance tests combine to make up the remaining 65% of an applicant’s overall score. The parts of the exam may not be taken separately.
Attention Graduating Class: The application to take the July California Bar becomes available on March 1 (www.calbar.ca.gov). Sign up soon to get the testing site of your choice. If you haven't already submitted your Moral Character application and fingerprints, you should do so as soon as possible. You should start your Moral Character Application no later than January 1 for the July CA bar exam (and earlier is better). It takes the Bar many months (approximately 8-10 months) to verify all the information and you cannot be admitted to the Bar until they've approved your moral character application.
July 30, 31 & August 1 (application deadline: April 1)
The California Bar Examination may involve issues from the subjects listed below:
Wills and Succession
The Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) tests the six subjects marked by an asterisk above. The majority of states include the MBE as a component of their examination. It consists of a six-hour test comprised of 200 multiple-choice questions. Additional information regarding the MBE is available through the National Conference of Bar Examiner's web site at www.ncbex.org.
- Law 100 - Contracts (required, first year)
- Law 120 - Criminal Law (required, first year)
- Law 130 - Real Property (we call it Property, required first year)
- Law 140 - Torts (required, first year)
- Law 145 - Civil Procedure (required, first year)
- Law 148 - Constitutional Law (required, first year)
- Law 201 – Constitutional Law II (elective)
- Law 202 - Criminal Procedure (elective)
- Law 205 - Wills and Trusts (elective)
- Law 207 - Community Property (elective)
- Law 211 - Evidence (elective)
- Law 230 - Corporations (we call it Business Associations, elective)
- Law 300 - Remedies (elective)
- Law 312 - Professional Responsibility (required, second or third year)
Checklist for Admission to the California State Bar
This checklist is intended as a reference. Please review the State Bar of California's web site for specific details and additional information at www.calbar.ca.gov.