LL.M. students are automatically registered for health insurance coverage through UCLA's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), administered by the on-campus Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center
Costs for the coverage are included in the LL.M. Program tuition fees. Click here
for SHIP coverage details.
- The plan includes comprehensive medical, vision,
dental, and UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and
Behavioral Health Services. All UC SHIP Plan descriptions for plan year 2012-2013 are available for your review at the Student Health & Wellness website.
- There are options available for dependents and eligible UC SHIP
students not returning to school to be able to purchase coverage.
Please contact Wells Fargo Insurance Services at (800) 853-5899 for the
enrollment application, fee payments, and benefits details.
- Students with UC SHIP must obtain a written referral from the Ashe
Center before receiving non-emergency medical services. Claims will not
be considered for payment without the Ashe Referral.
- The Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center is
conveniently located right next door to the John Wooden Center and
across from Ackerman Union on the UCLA campus. The Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center direct-dial telephone number is (310) 825-4073. Find us also at the Ashe Center Facebook page.
- The UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are available
to all registered students. If you have questions, need to make an
appointment, or contact their 24-hour crises counseling contact them at
- If you have existing health insurance that will provide coverage during your time at UCLA, you may apply for a waiver of the SHIP coverage. International students should note, however, that the university has very strict requirements for granting a waiver, and it is unlikely that insurance coverage provided by a non-U.S.-based company will qualify. Consult the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center website and the UC SHIP Waiver Worksheet for more information.
- To apply for a waiver, visit the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center website and click "Insurance" for UC SHIP information. Then select UC SHIP Waiver to begin the waiver application. The UC SHIP waiver deadline is August 8, 2012.
An annual UC SHIP waiver will be completed during the Fall waiver
period. Students will receive two confirmation numbers. Please pay careful
attention to meeting the waiver deadline to ensure that you do not incur
- For those who have appropriate outside insurance and decide to
waive SHIP, you might consider enrolling in BruinCare—a prepaid access
plan to the Ashe Student Health Center for those who waive SHIP.
Information and the ability to purchase BruinCare are available during
the waiver process. For additional information, see our website.
- Nurseline is available to all registered UCLA students when the Ashe
Center is closed. Through Nurseline, you can speak with a registered
nurse to obtain advice and information. The Nurseline phone number is
UCLA UC SHIP students can contact Anthem Blue Cross for Blue Card
Worldwide services for emergency assistance while traveling more than
100 miles from campus. Call 1-800-810-2583. If traveling on University
business /academic studies contact UC Traveler Insurance Coverage before your trip.
If you have any questions or any difficulties submitting your online waiver, please contact us BEFORE the deadline. Contact us
with you insurance questions (include your name and UID number), or
visit us in–person on the 4th floor of the Ashe Center or call us at
(310) 825-4073, Option 4.
Information on the above and details can be found at the Ashe Center website.
I hope you have a productive and successful summer.