Tuition and fees for the 2013-2014 academic year for J.D. students are $45,225.75 for residents and $51,719.75 for non-residents. The Health Insurance fee of $2,637.63 is an additional mandatory fee which can be waived - visit Arthur Ashe Center for details. In addition to tuition and fees, law school students should budget approximately $913 per semester for books and supplies.

All fees are subject to revision without notice. Please consult information about the fee payment process.

Withdrawal Refund Chart - Refund schedule for students withdrawing from school


The law student budget--to cover books, supplies, and living expenses for the nine-month school year--is assigned based on the student's housing status. Our off-campus budget is assigned to students living alone or with roommates; our commuter budget is assigned to students living with parents or other independent family members in the area. See below the variations of the law student budget for 2013-2014 academic year.

For Informational Use Only



Room and Board





Rent $ 1,086.00 $ 467.27



$ 396.22 $ 210.60
Utilities $ 109.00 $ 106.44
Books and Supplies $ 913.50 $ 913.50
Car Maintenance $ 28.33 $ 28.33
Car Insurance $ 74.78 $ 61.11
Gasoline $ 63.89 $ 56.93
UCLA Parking Permit $ 319.50 $ 319.50
Clothing $ 135.56 $ 121.04
Entertainment $ 124.56 $ 104.60
Total Available

$ 20,631.00

$ 12,873.00


Students have the option to consider university-owned apartments. These units are available to UCLA students only and are accessible by public transportation. However, the monthly costs are not fully subsidized by the university. To learn about placing housing ads and to receive information on average costs for renting an apartment, visit the housing office. You may also use the law school's roommate finder to enter your information and search the database of other law students in need of a roommate.


The University of California, Los Angeles will allow professional students to increase the standardized budget intended to cover expenses above-and-beyond tuition/fees. This increase will grant access to additional federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan or Direct Unsubsidized loans. See below for qualifying conditions. All required petitions can be found under "Financial Aid Forms" section of the website.

Loans for Computer Purchases

The U.S. Higher Education statute permits colleges and universities to allow students to use federal financial aid to purchase a computer. At UCLA, law students who wish to take advantage of this provision must obtain a Budget Increase Request Form. Complete the form and provide a computer purchase receipt. Keep all receipts! The maximum federal loan increase is $2,000.00. If the expenses exceed $2,000, you must submit verification from your department certifying that the specific system requirements are required for your course of study. Verifying letter should be on departmental letterhead. For the 2013-2014 academic year the law school’s Financial Aid Office will accept receipts for computer purchases made between May 1, 2013 and April 25, 2014. Students will be offered Direct Unsubsidized loan funds when available, otherwise, it will be necessary to apply for federal Direct Graduate PLUS or a credit-based private loan.

Childcare/Eldercare Expenses and the Law Student Budget

Students who provide for dependent children or elderly relatives while attending UCLA law school may request a budget increase through our office by completing a Budget Increase Request Form and providing proof of payment. This proof can be in the form of receipts for childcare/eldercare, an original contract agreement with a licensed daycare/eldercare provider or preschool, or copies of canceled checks made payable to the childcare/eldercare provider. For the 2013-2014 academic year our office will accept proof of payment that occurs during the enrollment period, only. Students who rely upon family members or close friends must pay with a check in order to receive the budget increase. Students who are not able to do so will not be permitted to add the additional expense to their nine-month budget.

Additionally, student budget increases do not cover child support payments. However, if the student will provide support through a direct payment to the childcare provider or preschool, then the petitioned request falls under the "childcare guidelines" and the student may request an increase.

Major Auto Repairs

An allowance for general repairs, gas, and car insurance is already included in the standard budget. Also, you cannot petition to have your budget increased for general commuting to and from campus. Only advanced students who take courses with a clinical component that requires off campus participation are eligible for a budget increase for major auto repairs. You must submit receipts for auto repairs and a letter from your advisor, on departmental letterhead, verifying the necessity of your automobile for educational purposes. Eligible students must submit a Budget Increase Request Form.


Included in the standard budget is an allowance for minor medical and dental costs for the student only. Budgets may be increased for your expenses not covered by personal health insurance. Receipts must be obtained from the physician and submitted with the petition. Estimates will not be accepted. Only expenses incurred and paid during the enrollment period will be considered. Eligible students must submit a Budget Increase Request Form.


The standard budget expense for rent is $1,086/month. However, UCLA will allow up to an additional $200/month, for expenses that exceed the standard allowance. Students must submit a current rental or lease agreement that includes their name. Cancelled checks may be requested for audit purposes. Law students who wish to request a budget adjustment for rent can obtain a Housing Adjustment Form.

Special Projects

Additional expenses for BAR exam registration, special course projects, thesis preparation, research projects, and internship program expenses may be considered. For the BAR registration adjustment, you must submit verification of registration for the BAR. Only one BAR registration adjustment will be allowed. For other special projects, submit an itemized budget, signed by a professor or an advisor on departmental letterhead, to verify that the expenses for the project are reasonable and necessary and pertain to the academic year.

Books and Supplies

You may request a budget increase for book and supply costs by submitting all receipts for expenses which exceed the standard budget allowance. The graduate budget allowance is $1,827 for books and supplies.

Special Expenses for Students with Disabilities

We will consider documented expenses related to the education of students with disabilities.