UCLA Law ranks eighth among all law schools for the number of faculty who are among the most cited in their fields in the last five years, according to Brian Leiter's analysis of faculty scholarship.
Twelve faculty members, 20 percent of all faculty, are among the most cited by other scholars. In addition to ranking eighth for number of faculty on the list, the school has the second-highest number of faculty on the list among public universities, and overall ranked 12th for percentage of tenured faculty on the list. UCLA Law faculty on the list specialize in a range of disciplines, from critical race studies and international law to evidence and corporate law. They include:
- Stephen Bainbridge, William D. Warren Distinguished Professor of Law: Corporate Law and Securities Regulation
- Stuart Banner, Norman Abrams Professor of Law: Legal History
- Devon Carbado, Honorable Harry Pregerson Professor of Law and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Critical Theory
- Kimberlé Crenshaw, distinguished professor of law: Critical Theory
- Jerry Kang, professor of law and Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Critical Theory
- Russell Korobkin, vice dean and Richard C. Maxwell Professor of Law: Law & Economics
- Lynn LoPucki, Security Pacific Bank Distinguished Professor of Law: Commercial Law
- Jennifer L. Mnookin, dean and David G. Price and Dallas P. Price Professor of Law: Evidence Law
- Kal Raustiala, professor of law: International Law
- James Salzman, Donald Bren Distinguished Professor of Environmental Law: Administrative and/or Environmental Law
- Seana Shiffrin, Pete Kameron Professor of Law and Social Justice: Law and Philosophy
- Eugene Volokh, Gary T. Schwartz Professor of Law: Constitutional & Public Law
Leiter, Karl N. Llewellyn Professor of Jurisprudence at the University of Chicago Law School, drew data for the rankings in 20 scholarly disciplines from the 2018 Sisk Study, which examined overall scholarly impact among law faculties. UCLA Law was ranked 11th for most-cited faculty in the 2018 Sisk Report.