Distinguished Professor of Law Emeritus
- A.B. UCLA, 1956
- LL.B. Stanford, 1959
- UCLA Faculty Since 1970
David Binder is a Distinguished Professor of Law Emeritus who was a pioneer in developing clinical methods of teaching law. He is a recipient of both the University's Distinguished Teaching Award and the School of Law's Rutter Award for Excellence in Teaching, and after only two years at UCLA, the Class of 1972 elected him Professor of the Year. In 2001, the School of Law honored him with a special award commemorating his thirty years of dedication to clinical legal education.
Before joining the School of Law, Professor Binder was a partner in the law firm of Brown & Brown in Los Angeles and served as director of litigation for the Western Center on Law and Poverty between 1969 and 1970. He has spent several summers teaching introductory courses on American law at various universities in China.
Professor Binder has published pioneering clinical scholarship, including several books with Professors Albert Moore and Paul Bergman that grow out of his focus on fact development and its relation to inferential proof and argument at trial, including Demystifying The First Year of Law School: A Guide to the 1L Experience with Albert J. Moore (2009), Deposition Questioning Strategies and Techniques (2001) and Trial Advocacy: Inferences, Arguments, Techniques (1996). He also co-authored Lawyers as Counselors: A Client Centered Approach (3rd Edition) with Professor Paul Bergman, Susan Price and Paul Tremblay of Boston College Law School (2012).
Articles And Chapters
- A Depositions Course: Tackling the Challenge of Teaching for Professional Skills Transfer (with Paul B. Bergman and Albert J. Moore), 13 Clinical Law Review 871 (2007).
- Taking Lawyering Skills Training Seriously (with Paul B. Bergman), 10 Clincial Law Review 191 (2003). Full Text
- Lawyers as Counselors: A Client Centered Approach (with Paul Bergman and Susan Price), 35 New York Law School Law Review 29 (1990). Excerpts reprinted from Lawyers as Counselors: A Client Centered Approach (West Publishing, 1990).
- Depositions in a Nutshell (with Paul Bergman, Albert Moore, and Jason Light) 2nd ed. West Academic (2016).
- Lawyers as Counselors: A Client Centered Approach (with Paul B. Bergman, Paul Tremblay, and Ian Weinstein) 3rd ed. West Publishing (2012).
- Demystifying The First Year of Law School: A Guide to the 1L Experience (with Albert J. Moore) (edited by Aspen). (2009).
- Deposition Questioning: Strategies and Techniques (with Paul B. Bergman and Albert J. Moore) West Publishing (2001).
- Trial Advocacy: Inferences, Arguments and Techniques (with Paul B. Bergman and Albert J. Moore) West Publishing (1996).
- Fact Investigation: From Hypothesis to Proof (with Paul B. Bergman) West Publishing (1984).
- American Bar Association Lawyering Skills Program (with Carrie Menkel-Meadow) American Bar Association (1982).
- Legal Interviewing and Counseling: A Client-Centered Approach (with Susan Price) West Publishing (1977).