November 4, 2015 -- The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit held a special sitting at UCLA School of Law today. A panel, consisting of Circuit Judge Michelle T. Friedland of San Francisco, Senior Circuit Judge Mary M. Schroeder of Phoenix and District Judge Vince Chhabria of the Northern District of California, heard oral arguments in the law school’s A. Barry Cappello Courtroom. This was the court’s third sitting at UCLA School of Law.
The judges considered appeals of five cases decided by the Board of Immigration Appeals and two federal trial courts in California. The cases on the docket were:
- Yesayi Indikushayan v. Loretta E. Lynch, in which citizens of Armenia petition for review of the BIA’s denial of their applications for asylum, withholding of removal, and protection under the Convention Against Torture. Case 11-73336
- Shouchen Yang v. Loretta E. Lynch, in which Schouchen Yang, a citizen of China, petitions for review of the BIA’s denial of his motion to reopen removal proceedings. Case 12-71773
- USA v. Emilio Reyes-Bosque, in which federal prisoner Emilio Reyes-Bosque appeals a decision of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California in San Diego denying his motion challenging his conviction and sentence for multiple offenses including aiding aggravated felons to enter the U.S. Case 14-55445
- ALDF v. USDA, in which the Animal Legal Defense Fund appeals the summary judgment of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles in favor of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in an action seeking to have foie gras declared an adulterated food under the Poultry Product Inspection Act of 1957. Case 13-55868
- Trustees of the O.E.P. Trust v. Smith-Emery Company, in which Trustees of the Operating Engineers Pension Trust and others appeal the Central District court’s judgment after bench trial in an ERISA action for delinquent contributions; defendant Smith-Emery Co. cross appeals the district court’s attorney fees orders. Cases 13-56708, 13-56830
The proceedings can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApyYbOqAJug