UCLA School of Law has been named the No. 1 entertainment law school in America by The Hollywood Reporter for the fifth consecutive year.
The publication ranks law schools by how many of their alumni are leaders in entertainment law as reflected by their selection for the annual THR Top 100 Power Lawyers list and a separate list of 11 top attorneys in music law. Overall, 18 UCLA Law alumni made those lists in 2018.
Ziffren Brittenham partners John Branca '75 and David Byrnes '93 were listed among the top 11 music attorneys.
The 16 UCLA Law alumni in the Power Lawyers list are:
- Skip Brittenham '70, Ziffren Brittenham
- Melanie Cook '78, Ziffren Brittenham
- David Eisman '93, Skadden Arps
- Matthew Erramouspe '96, O'Melveny & Myers
- Sam Fischer '82, Ziffren Brittenham
- Jeffrey Frankel '91, McKuin Frankel Whitehead
- Michael Gendler '80, Gendler & Kelly
- Lev Ginsburg '02, Ginsburg Daniels
- Carlos Goodman '88, Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal LaViolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman
- Howard King '77, King, Holmes, Paterno & Soriano
- Dale Kinsella '74, Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump & Aldisert
- Kenneth Kleinberg '67, Kleinberg, Lange, Cuddy & Carlo
- Schuyler Moore '81, Greenberg Glusker Fields Claman & Machtinger
- Robert Offer '92, Sloane Offer Weber & Dern
- Jason Sloane '88, Sloane Offer Weber & Dern
- Ken Ziffren '65, Ziffren Brittenham
Several of the lawyers on the list are actively affiliated with UCLA Law and UCLA Law's Ziffren Center on Media, Entertainment, Technology and Sports Law. The Ziffren Center Advisory Board includes Ken Ziffren, a lecturer in media law and the founder of the Ziffren Center, as well as Jason Sloane, Robert Offer, Dale Kinsella, Carlos Goodman, Matthew Erramouspe, Melanie Cook and John Branca. David Eisman, Kenneth Kleinberg and Ken Ziffren are on the advisory committee of the UCLA Entertainment Symposium, a leading entertainment law summit that just completed its 42nd year.
In 2017, the Ziffren Center launched a new Documentary Film Clinic and a Music Industry Clinic, allowing law students to work directly with artists and creators while gaining vital skills in intellectual property, contracts and other areas of law.